Lake Zurich Village Trustee Tom Poynton was among the first candidates to file for village seats in the April 9, 2013 election. Dec. 17 was the first day to file for village office; the filing period ends Dec. 26.
Poynton will challenge Village President Suzanne Branding.
In a news release Poynton wrote:
Today, I am announcing that I have filed petitions declaring my independent candidacy for office of Village President (Mayor) of the Village of Lake Zurich.
It has become increasingly clear that the village is suffering from a lack of leadership and credibility in Village Hall.
I’ve never considered myself a “politician.” I’ve always considered myself “Joe Resident.” I’ve always wanted what was best for the residents. My only desire is to continue serving the residents of Lake Zurich to the best of my ability—in the most open, accountable, and fiscally-responsible way possible. And that is what I have tried to do as Trustee.
Consequently, I am running for mayor, first and foremost to restore the public’s trust in village government and in the office of mayor.
I see five main goals for Lake Zurich’s Village Board and Staff to work towards in the next few years.
- Providing the leadership lacking the past four years.
- Increasing the emphasis on developing our downtown and increasing our economic vitality village-wide.
- Providing an affordable, balanced budget without significantly reducing Village services.
- Creating a government atmosphere that gives residents confidence, increases customer service and is consistent and predictable to both residents and businesses.
- Increased public participation in the processes.
As “The Great Communicator,” President Ronald Reagan advised: trust, but verify.” As mayor of Lake Zurich, I pledge that Village government will earn our resident’ trust by making everything it does—completely transparent and readily verifiable.
I am privileged to support a coalition of Independent Candidates who have file petitions for Trustee. They are incumbent Jeff Halen, and newcomers Mark Loewes, Geoff Petzel and Dan Stanovich. They are strong candidates who possess the educations, leadership skills, passion and hard work ethic to move Lake Zurich forward.