The Lake Zurich Fire Department has placed a wreath strung with red lights on the front of Fire Station One at 321 S. Buesohing Road. The wreath will remain lit 24 hours a day throughout the holiday season.
Whenever a fire occurs that is a result of holiday decorations, a white bulb will then replace a red bulb on the wreath.
“This wreath serves as a constant reminder to practice safety Whileinstalling and displaying holiday decorations and this awareness, in turn, may help to prevent blazes during this time,” said Fire Chief David Wheelock. “Lake Zurich has been a proud sponsor of this program for over 2O years.”
The Lake Zurich Fire Prevention Bureau released the following list ofholiday decorating safety tips:
- Consider an artificial tree; they are much safer.
- If buying a real tree, select only fresh trees that are deep green in Color, have a strong scent of pine, and do not easily lose their needles.
- Keep holding stand for real trees full of water. Place trees away from heat sources and a safe distance from exits.
- Do not rely on Chemical sprays to make a tree flame resistant.
- Buy and use lights approved by a national testing laboratory.
- Discard any lights that have frayed or worn Cords, cracked sockets, broken or loose Connections, bare wires, or operate intermittently.
- Never use indoor lights outdoors. Do not overload electrical outlets. Keep the use of extension cords to a minimum.
- Do not run extension Cords under carpets, across doorways, or near heaters.
- Unplug lights when you leaving home or before going to bed.
- Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Keep candles away from items that can catch fire, like clothing, books and
- Use Candle holders that are sturdy, Won’t tip over easily, are made from a
- material that cannot burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
- Keep matches, lighters and Candles out of children’s reach.
- Burn only dry wood in the fireplace.
- Never burn Christmas wrapping paper in the fireplace. The paper burns too hot and too fast and could cause a fire in the chimney.
Source: Lake Zurich Fire Rescue Department’s Fire Prevention Bureau press release