The church in this week's History Mystery quiz is St. Peter Evangelical and Reformed Church. Ten Lake Zurich area families were responsible for establishing the church in town. Rev. J.C. Hoffmeister, pastor of St. Paul Evangelical Church of Palatine, lended a hand as well.
They met at the Ela Town Hall (now the Ela Historical Society) to discuss the details. On Sept. 2, 1900, the cornerstone for the building was put in place. The church was dedicated on Dec. 2, 1900.
On May 5, 1901, Rev. Hoffmeister became the first resident and pastor of the church. The first parsonage was completed in 1901.
In 1929, a parish hall was added to the church. In the early 1940s, it's name was changed to St. Peter Evangelical and Reformed Church.
By 1957, the Christian Education Building was dedicated and the name of the church became St. Peter United Church of Christ. A new parsonage was dedicated in 1965 with a new church completed in 1972.