And Patch.com knows there are plenty of residents out there willing to lend a helping hand.
With that in mind, Patch.com has looked to volunteermatch.org., a website aimed at bringing "good people and causes together," for volunteer opportunities currently posted for the area. Here is a look at five of those opportunities:
- Advocate Hospice in Lake Zurich and Park Ridge is looking for dog volunteers, and their owners, to visit Advocate Hospice patients throughout Lake and Cook counties. The hospital is also looking for volunteers to make fleece blankets and assistance with reception, filing, faxing and data entry duties.
- The Boys & Girls Club of Lake County is looking for a volunteer with good character and citizenship.
- Smart Farm of Barrington is looking for help at their vegetable garden, which harvests food for local food pantries. The organization is also looking for a volunteer coordinator and volunteers at its frozen zucchini snowshoe adventure.
- Magazine Publishers Family Literacy Project is looking for a literacy ambassador in the Palatine area. Read more on volunteermatch.org.
- Journeycare, formerly Hospice of Northeastern Illinois, is seeking inpatient unit volunteers to "support families, patients and staff in an acute-care, fast-paced environment."