This building, 16 E. Main Street, was built in 1895 and started out as Henry Hillman’s butcher shop. When a Mr. Hartman bought the shop it became a shoe store. After Hartman, Otto Giese sold and repaired shoes and also had men’s and women’s clothing. When he retired in 1960, Harold and Inez Giese sold Hallmark cards and gifts. John Schweda continued the card and gift store.
When Otto Giese was selling shoes, little boys wore high tops with buckles near the top. While the little boys hated them, they were practical.
The building became an art store in 1994. It is now the