Are you looking for a holiday event for your family to enjoy this weekend?
There's plenty going on in Lake Zurich and nearby communities. Take a look at some of the events planned this weekend:
- The Illinois Youth Dance Theatre will present The Nutcracker at the Lake Zurich Performing Arts Center, 300 Church St., at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Dec. 17 and Dec. 18. Tickets are $15 apiece. For more information, visit www.ballroomanddance.com/iydt-production.html or call 1-224-279-8635.
- New Life Evangelical Lutheran Church will hold Christmas for Kids 2011, which will be a one-day Vacation Bible School program where children can learn about the birth of Jesus. Activities will include Christmas crafts, songs and a snack. The event is free and is open to children in preschool through eighth grade. New Life Evangelical Lutheran Church is at 910 S. Old Rand Road. For more information, visit the church website or call 1-847-438-5018.
- Quentin Road Bible Baptist Church will hold its annual Christmas pageant, with performances at 2 and 6 p.m. Dec. 17, and at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Dec. 18. Bethlehem's Cry Heard Around the World tells the story of the birth of Jesus — and his life — largely through songs, on-stage drama elements and on-screen narration. For more information, visit http://qrchristmas.com.
- The Lake Zurich American Legion Post 964, 51 Lions Drive, will hold an all-you-can-eat Pancake Breakfast with Santa from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 18. The menu will consist of pancakes, scrambled eggs, pork sausage, ham, French toast, orange juice, apple juice, white and chocolate milk, and coffee. The cost is $6 for adults, $5 for seniors and $4 for children ages 3-12. Children younger than 3 will be admitted free.
- St. Peter United Church of Christ, 47 Church St., will hold its annual Christmas pageant at 10 a.m. Dec. 18. The Chosen Star will feature the children from the church's Christian Education Department. All are welcome to attend the free performance.
- A number of events also are planned at Deer Park Town Center this weekend, including Letter Writing to Santa at the Waffle Gourmet on Dec. 17, and story time with Mrs. Claus at Barnes & Noble from 11 a.m. to noon Dec. 17. Check out the full lineup of holiday events.
One more thing: It's not too late to enter your home in our Deck the House Contest for a chance to win $100,000 for our schools. The 24 national finalists will each receive $500 for their own electric bills.