The 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq began 10 years ago on March 19, 2003, and although officially "over," fighting continues with discouraging persistence.
By one count, the war is directly responsible for 189,000 deaths, not including those who died from hardship caused by the fighting, according to www.costofwar.com.
CNN has a stunning map of all casualties in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.
In all, 4,802 Americans and allies have died in the war, according to the Iraq Coalition Casualty Count, including 162 soldiers from Illinois.
Iraq and Afghanistan casualties from the Lake Zurich area, from the CNN war casualties website, which includes photos and profiles:
- Maj. Paul R. Syverson III, 32, of Lake Zurich, was killed June 16, 2004, in Iraq.
- Spc. Wesley Robert Wells, 21, of Libertyville, was killed April 20, 2004, in Afghanistan.
- Jonathan W. Collins, 19, of Crystal Lake, was killed Aug. 9, 2004 in Iraq.
- Pfc. William R. Newgard, 20, of Arlington Heights, was killed on Dec. 29, 2006 in Iraq
- Cpl. Peter J. Giannopoulos, 22, of Inverness, was killed on Nov. 11, 2004 in Iraq